Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gift Giving!

I love this time of year -- I get to spend some time with my friends and family, drink hot toddies (egg nog just isn't my thing), and have an excuse to do mass amounts of baking.

This year, however, I'm going to be traveling (to Mexico!) with my Dad, Becky, and brother Andy right up until just before Christmas. Last year, I spent the week prior to Christmas baking, wrapping, and doing last minute shopping, but I won't have that luxury this time around.

One great buy/make way ahead of time, and still give a great gift?

Preserves/Jams/Jellies
[via Mirasol Farms]
If you have canning experience (which I do not), this would be the perfect way to put some leftover fruit to great use. Check the farmer's market or local grocers for some preserves made from locally grown fruit. Etsy is also carrying some delicious looking homemade treats as well. The prices are great, and I know I would be thrilled to find these in my stocking. These are made to keep well, and can be made well in advance of when you're giving your gifts.

Wanna try canning for yourself? (I know I do -- but I am a little nervous about it!) The blog Food in Jars is absolutely perfect for canning tips/tricks (make sure to seal it correctly so that your food isn't contaminated by botulism), and some great gift giving ideas as well.

Etsy is jam-packed (pun intended?) with all kinds of farmers and canners who are selling delicious, and inexpensive treats! I just got my first order in last week from one seller, and I almost don't want to give it away.. err..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails