Friday, May 14, 2010

New Orleans Bike Rides

As some of you may know, I'm an avid bike rider around Durham.. and have been for the past 2 years.  Honestly, I didn't want to bike to work.. ever.  But, after getting over that initial hump, I absolutely love it.  It really does help clear my mind after a particularly crappy day at work (and those are quite often) and it's great exercise that I don't have to really commit to (getting myself to the gym some days is an effort!).. so all around positives.

In New Orleans, biking is a lot different than the biking here.  There are no, and I mean not even one, hill there.. and Durham, is well.. a killer glutes workout on the multiple uphill climbs between the 2 miles I travel each morning.  I never understood people who bought "cruiser" bikes or the fixed gears all the hipsters around here use.  But, down in NOLA, a cruiser is the perfect kind of bike.  We spent one day biking around my new neighborhood, and from the Marigny (where we were staying) it was an easy bike through the French Quarter (a little hectic albeit) but so quick.. and then before you knew it we were through the CBD and into the Garden District.

This is absolutely superb, especially since I already have a friend in Marigny, and I'm sure to have others there and in the CBD.. so easy access is key.

Here are a few that I have my sights on... and believe I'ma put a wicker basket on the front.  My current bike will be used for the heavier haul days when I have a ton of work/books/etc to get done at school.  

Electra Bikes
 
 Cadillac Bikes (who knew?!)

 Ladies Nirve Bikes

3 comments:

Marcie said...

These bikes are great. I love taking a bike ride on a sunny afternoon. Love the blog. I am so glad I found it!

:)Marcie

Unknown said...

OH, I am so jealous! Enjoy your bike rides, that's fabulous!

bananas. said...

oh you MUST get the pink cadillac bike. you'll be the talk of the town!!! ;)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails