Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Remix: Sweet Potatoes

I absolutely cannot wait for Thanksgiving -- it is quite possibly one of my favorite holidays. Lots of family, relaxation, and tons of food. Enormous amounts. I've read somewhere that in order to burn off the calories consumed in one all-out thanksgiving meal (seconds included), you would need to run about 20 miles. And I have 2 Thanksgivings to attend.

It is definitely worth it -- and I know it'll be the push I need afterward to hit the gym again.

One of my favorite traditions of Thanksgiving is the sweet potatoes. Different from yams (just learned!), and so delicious. I'm partial to the sweet potato casserole, covered in brown sugar, and practically a dessert as a side dish. But, in looking into recipes this year, I found these recipes that remix the tradition into something that looks incredible. I've got a whole box with my name on when I go home from the Troxler farm (gotta love a farming fam) of sweet potatoes.. and I know I'm going to try a few of these soon.

Baked Sweet Potatoes Stuffed with Cranberries, Pears, and Pecans [Bon Appetit]


Sweet Potato and Sage Gratin [The Kitchn]

1 comments:

Akili said...

So I'm not sure if we've ever discussed this but I absolutely LOVE to cook [my dream job, if $ was no object would be to go to culinary school]. That being said, I never knew there was a difference between Yams and Sweet Potatoes.

For turkey day we usually do "candied yams" in reality they're "candied sweet potatoes"...Anywho, the baked sweet potatoe with cranberries looks AMAZING. Let me know which ones you make and how they are!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails