Saturday, February 27, 2010

Frijoles Borrachos

Ya'll may remember when I was talking about how I usually didn't like beans, but the Tex Mex beans I tried in San Antonio were absolutely divine? 

Well, the next day, my childhood friend CQ was having people over for bbq chicken (and all the fixins) so I thought that making these beans would be perfect.  (and yep, its the same night as the smoking incident)

After reading my last post about beans, Moms gave me a few tips on making these beans really stand out.  Unfortunately (for JP haha) these suggestions were to add bacon (and sometimes sausage).  Also -- canned pinto beans are a better bet for time saving because rehydrating dried beans can sometimes be obnoxious.  And, the Goya Ham seasoning is also key -- buy a box and use about 2 or 3 packets.

So I took these suggestions and tweaked it a little.

Frijoles Borrachos a la Sarah

-Brown a few slices of (peppered turkey) bacon on the bottom of a pan (cut up into little pieces)
-Saute a handful of frozen onions and some minced fresh jalepeno for a few minutes
-Add 2 cans of pinto beans (with the majority of the "juice" -- sick word I know -- poured out)
-Add 1 bottle of (dark preferably) beer -- I used Shiner (not quite dark, but not Bud Light)
-Stir this all together and let it simmer for about 10 minutes
-Add some cayenne pepper, salt, reg black pepper, and a capful of liquid smoke (even Whole Foods carries it.. and a little goes a long way -- sold in the condiment aisle)
-Let this all come to a boil, then lower the temp and simmer for about 30-45 minutes (or however long it is until dinner)

And I'm not much for beans, but these were pretty good!

1 comments:

Lizzy said...

I hope you don't mind I pinned your recipe on pinterest! It looks yummy and I'm from San Antonio and I totally miss the food back home.

Here is where I pinned it: http://pinterest.com/pin/246501779575525629/

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails